Course Structure and Fees
The courses are available to all students at university level, and are structured within two broad parameters:
Enhanced Skills Course
The Enhanced Skills Course is designed for those students with a background in media, film studies and fine art who have some basic understanding and competencies within the discipline. The course will build on this basic knowledge to deliver a skills package that will enable the student to expand their knowledge and explore a broad range of topics for their documentary film.
The Specialised Course is tailored primarily to those students who have no background in audio visual studies and is designed to equip them with the the skills to make a film addressed to the requirements of a more specific curriculum. For example if students were engaged in ethnographic study then course would be adapted to support such research. We would require six weeks prior notice of any such specialisations to arrange the visiting lecture schedules and identify possible areas of research and scholarship.
The tuition fees are USD $1000 €800 per week, for ten weeks, totaling USD $10,000 or €8,000. The fees include:
- All tuition, master classes, multi disciplinary workshops and access to any libraries, archives and research facilities
- All necessary state of the art gear with appropriate hardware and software to complete the program
- Daily transport to and from the school, and to and from locations
- On set supervision by a local fixer to ensure a smooth and successful shoot
- A midday meal during the school day and on location
- Final hard copy DVD of the documentary
- Two field trips to wine farms and cheetah sanctuary
While making all of the necessary arrangements for living and accomodation while in South Africa, the fees DO NOT cover:
- Flights to and from the USA
- Accommodation in a guest house in Observatory, a predominantly student area
- Food (aside from daily meals during tuition and filming)
- Phones, IT and Internet cost
- Extra-curricular weekend activities
NOTE: Film Crews will be supported by DOCi's Mict-Seta students providing on-set assistance and training.
Registration must be completed 4 weeks prior to commencement.
Upon receipt of confirmation, prospective students will receive a comprehensive reading list, advice on visas, travel insurance, flights, details on accommodation, clothing, safety in Cape Town, medical and dental, consular services, and IT service.